New AirGradient DIY Kit Version 3 Feedback and Discussion

I’m wondering if the recent massive Covid lockdowns in China may delay the release indefinitely?

Any 3.7v battery should work. I would recommend the flat li-pol batteries.

1 Like

Yes unfortunately it looks like we are affected but we do not know yet how much delay it will cause. I will be sending out an email today or tomorrow.

Would 6.4x4x1 cm battery fit?

Maybe that’s a bit too large. I would go for a smaller one.

Does this also affect the current V2 kit availability? I ask since I’m not on the pre-order list for V3 beta and would like to put something together to play with while waiting for V3 to become available.

Currently it does not affect V2 which we have in stock but it might affect shipping times if the packages get delayed during transit.

I found a company that makes radon measurement devices.
http://allsmartlab.com/eng/294-2/

Might be an option for integration with this in the future?

1 Like

That’s Gamma Radiation, not radon gas. But still interesting…

Currently built a V2 (3 actually).

My biggest gripes were the sensors being really close together and lack of buttons.

I decided to swap the SHT30 for a BME680 which worked but required shifting the PM25 sensors slightly south. That worked… but it’s not awesome.

I like the extra room which makes these kind of swaps easier. I prefer the BME680 since it also gets air pressure and VOC’s, two useful things.

Having a space for 1-3 buttons would be nice. They could be useful to turn on/off the display, enter calibration mode, etc. etc.

1 Like

I don’t see why you could not use one of the extra digital pins D0, D7 , D8 to setup a button…

Hi Achim! Any updates in terms of shipping? Not sure about the lockdown status, but last info I gathered was to start shipping at the end of March if possible.

Yes, we are making progress!

We have all components including the PCB version 3 successfully sourced and ready to be shipped from our office.

The only thing missing is the enclosure with the cutout. We have two CNC companies that can do this but found out in a test cut that we had a small error in the drawing of the size of the window.

So we are currently doing some samples with the corrected cutout and if these turn out well, we will do all required enclosures and then ship the whole kit.

The COVID lockdowns in China are still slowing things down but I think we are on a good way.

4 Likes

Hi Achim! Still going strong on the new version? :upside_down_face:

Today the factory completed the cutout on the enclosures and sent us a photo of the shipments:

As you can see they made the cutout in the wrong place (top left instead of bottom right) so rotated by 180 degrees!

It seems the person on the CNC machine just put them all in the wrong direction (even though the same company did the sample before and that was correct).

In general, our top cover can be rotated by 180 degrees so it would most likely still fit above the OLED display and we could flip the display text 180 degrees. So -in theory- this enclosure should still work.

Once we got these enclosures in our office we will check this and then I will email all the purchasers with options for the next steps.

2 Likes

can’t wait for this new V3 to go live.

Is there any update on the V3 kit?

I just emailed all purchasers of the kit.

Unfortunately, it turns out that it is not possible to rotate the top cover by 180 degrees because the top part of the enclosure does not have enough space for the PM sensor then and we cannot rotate the backplate because then the wall screw holes are the wrong direction.

So we are now producing a new round of plastic enclosures and then have to do the CNC cutouts again before we can ship the kits. The factory tells us we should have this by end of May.

1 Like

Doh! Well, that’s disappointing. Sorry the CNC company ruined dozens of your injection-molded cases.

I’m curious as to why the idea of adding a battery came to be. Both the PM2.5 and CO2 sensors need to be running constantly to provide accurate readings. Using a battery would mean incorporating a deep sleep function to the code so that the battery is not drained in a “split of a second”. If that’s the case then both sensors wouldn’t give reliable readings when the device wakes up for at least a few minutes at least. Am I missing something?