New AirGradient DIY Kit Version 3 Feedback and Discussion

Currently not foreseen but it’s easy to add yourself.

But one would need to cut open the case! :s

Not necessarily. the LED’s shine through the enclosure very well.

A big +1 to the request for a PCB/Enclosure only kit

3 Likes

This is exciting, but also a bit frustrating as I just purchased a DIY kit last week (it arrived yesterday) and now I’m struggling to decide if I put it together at all, or order the new PCB and enclosure and wait for it to arrive before starting this project (so I can put the sensors on the new PCB). I wish there had been more notice about the development of this kit via the mailing list.

I’d appreciate an option for just the enclosure, though I imagine the enclosure + PCB kit is useful for folks, so it’s probably helpful to offer both.

I’ll also +1 this. I just bought 2 DIY kits and was sourcing somewhere to have the previous enclosure 3D printed. I had also purchased the SGP30 separately to include. I would very much be interested in purchasing a handful of the new PCBs and enclosures.

1 Like

This is amazing! Love the work being put into this and I’m very interested in getting this new kit as soon as it is available. You should send one to Jeff Geerling as I think his youtube video is getting a lot of new users.

For additional sensors:

• Air Pressure
  • Particulate sensor that does even smaller particles
  • Ozone
  • NO2
  • Radon (Have no idea how much these cost)

If a battery is an option, it would be great to add a battery indicator to the OLED display.

1 Like

@Makxine I feel you. I bought a 3 pack of PCBs only so I could buy more beyond my first full kit and now I’m not sure if I’ll ever use the v2 boards.

1 Like

What’s the price point for these kits?

1 Like

@Makxine @phillipppp @MallocArray We will definitely offer an upgrade only kit with just the PCB, Enclosure and new OLED display (and maybe the TVOC sensor).

@Makxine We are still finalizing the pricing. There are additional costs as we need to CNC the display cutout on the professional plastic enclosure and the costs for the additional components (enclosure, TVOC, larger display, battery charger, etc).

We will probably offer the new complete kit at around USD 100. For the upgrade kit we target USD 20-30 depending on the exact components we will include besides the enclosure and PCB.

4 Likes

I 2nd the idea of adding a Radon sensor.

On the issue of deep sleep, don’t most of the sensors require ~5 mins warm up time to get accurate readings ? So the sleep cycle would have to be pretty long to provide the battery savings.

1 Like

Do you know of a radon sensor that can be used with Arduino? I’ve looked around and there does not seem to be one.

Well… it would be great to be able to spot radon… for somebody who’s had a non smoker family member with lung cancer … That could mean a lot.

But the overall cost would rump up quite a bit!

Just want to say thank you. This looks perfect in every way. The enclosure looks great. It’s nice you have a proper shopping cart/ordering system now to order a few in one shipment. I also love that you offer both complete and upgrade kits. I already had some of the parts around, and I don’t need all of the sensors in every location, so the flexibility of the upgrade kit is nice. I placed an order within minutes of getting the email.

Re: radon: my understanding is this is a very regional thing (for those in the US, there’s an EPA map). Where I grew up, it’d be a great feature to have at least one of these sensors in the basement. Where I live now radon levels aren’t a concern at all, so it’d be a waste of money.

Thank you for your words.

I looked into Radon but it seems it is difficult to find sensor modules for this gas. If anyone has some experience with Radon modules on MCUs I would be interested to hear.

We have now closed the pre-ordering. I will send an email in the next few days after we have ordered the parts and have a good estimate about the delivery schedule.

Holy $***… when has it been opened?
Am I still in time to pre-order one complete set?

Have you sent an email for the preorder opening?
Thanks

Looking forward to the release of this as a kit with the new PCB and the injection molded case. I like the form smaller factor of the current kit, but having a charging module and room for an optional battery is appealing, as is not having to source a 3D print. I’m especially interested in having a device that I can move from room to room, or even take with me that will reliably measure PM 2.5 and CO2 - if the CO2 high and the PM 2.5 is higher than it should be I can conclude that the room lacks both ventilation and good HEPA filtration - it’s still an approximation since there may not be ambient PM 2.5 that needs filtration to serve as as something that would test the filtration that may or may not exist, but more info than CO2 alone as with the overpriced Aranet4 CO2 monitor. The AirGradient kits are not quite ideal for my purposes in terms of size, but the price and possible customization make them seem workable for the task.

Yes, he did sent around 3 emails for that! :stuck_out_tongue:

Can’t wait to receive it. Just builder my v2 and waiting for that to upgrade me v2 to v3 and build another v3.

What’s the battery size and type we need to buy for this?
Any estimation on when this will ship?
Thanks