AirGradient Forum

AirGradient Go - Bugs/Issues/Feedback

I have tried with the GPS setting as “always on” and also “on when tracking”, neither setting gets me a fix after 2 min when starting tracking or with the hardware test. A route tracking session of 5+ min also did not get a fix. How long should it take on the longer end?

Thanks for the other info and responses. Hoping for shortcuts as @jjbonta suggests and manual on-demand sensor update function soon!

2 Likes

@jjbonta That’s a great idea. I have logged your request! Thank you for your feedback.

@vlotty Please let me ask @Altair_AirGradient for this. He has done a lot of extensive outdoor route tracking with the Go more than I have (I’m kind of a Stationary Mode person).

1 Like

Hi @vlotty! In my experience, the Go usually gets a GPS fix almost immediately when it has been used regularly. If GPS has not been used for a while, it can sometimes take around 1 to 2 minutes.

More than 5 minutes is definitely longer than I would expect.

Where are you testing it? Is the Go outdoors with a clear view of the sky, or are there tall buildings, trees, or other obstructions nearby? Those can make a big difference to the time needed for the first fix.

1 Like

Edit: Just tried again on a patio with nothing nearby within at least 5M, was able to get a fix after 00:01:10, and then after that, it appears to fix nearly instantly, including indoors.

I am testing it in a US suburban location, no tall buildings, there are trees but when I am testing it there is a clear view to the sky (other than clouds, sometimes). The 1-2+ minutes is stationary with clear view, the 5+ min was while walking along a stretch of road that had some intermittent foliage (but not enough to block the entire sky). Is there some condition I can test that would be definitive? E.g. location with nothing taller than X centimeters for Y minutes?

2 Likes

@vlotty, thanks for the update! Feel free to share with us if you find any issues.

Hi @vlotty! That sounds more normal. I believe for the first fix, it’s better to have the device stationary for a minute or two. We’ll add this recommendation to the documentation.

There’s so specific condition to test at, as far as I know. Generally, just make sure you are clear view of the sky and maybe not in “urban canyons”.

I would like to suggest that when the WiFi has been setup and is connected and mode is tethered and wall-power is present, that the BLE remain active and connected as well via that pathway.
When wall-power is not present and WiFi is not connected then automatically switch to un-tethered.
When wall-power comes back and WiFi comes back, automatically switch to tethered.

At least, have an option to enable this behaviour.

Rationale: I want to make it easy to unplug and untether and go, then come back and be tethered again so that the (eventual) HomeAssistant wifi-based connexion comes back.

2 Likes

Hi @mogul, sounds like an interesting feature. Can you confirm that I understand the idea correctly?

Basically, from what you mentioned, you would like to have a feature that:

  • Enable both Wi-Fi and BLE (with the condition that Wi-Fi will only be enabled when a USB-C power supply is connected), so this means BLE is enabled all the time.

Could you also explain a bit more about the ‘tether’?

Thank you in advance!

By “tethered” I mean the “stationary” mode (I mis-remembered).

I just switched modes back to “stationary” via the on-device menu. It is now asking me to Connect to WiFi. I had a wifi connexion established. It is waiting for the app. The app still thinks it is connected via bluetooth., but it is warning that writing is not permitted. ‘Connect your monitor 5/7’ > ‘Scan for Networks’ gives ‘Wi-Fi scan failed. Try again.’

I just want the thing to automatically connect to the WiFi I have connected it to before, and remain connected via BLE. When I unplug charging power, I want it to turn off WiFi and prepare to go somewhere to get some data. When I come home, I want to plug it in to recharge, have it turn WiFi back on, and connect.
Hassle free.

Perhaps it does this already, but my experience so far is otherwise. Although, I have yet to take it on walk-about. Keep forgetting.

2 Likes

Seems that “start/stop tracking” will also be improved by not having to deal with the UI.
Is there an accelerometer? Can I shake it to toggle tracking? How about I breathe CO2 at it to toggle tracking?

Unlocking is cumbersome. Dealing with the UI also. Just looking for ways to use it in “every day use mode” that streamline “grab it and go”

2 Likes

@mogul, thank you for the clarification. Let me log this to our feature request list!

According to the Go, it does have an accelerometer. I can also bring this up with our team about a shortcut to trigger tracking.

For onboarding the AirGradient Go running Stationary Mode, we suggest using the Wi-Fi portal in the meantime (please see: Connect AirGradient Go to WiFi | AirGradient Knowledge Base ). We are improving this on the mobile app.

Please feel free to share any feedback. I hope you’ll enjoy your Go!

1 Like

Seems that “start/stop tracking” will also be improved by not having to deal with the UI.
Is there an accelerometer? Can I shake it to toggle tracking? How about I breathe CO2 at it to toggle tracking?

Unlocking is cumbersome. Dealing with the UI also. Just looking for ways to use it in “every day use mode” that streamline “grab it and go”

Hi @kimkomnb, would you also like to see this feature? Please feel free to let us know what you think. Thanks!

I would like for it to work with 64 hex char WPA Wifi passwords as supported on the other devices.

Hi @matrikss, thank you for your feedback! I can discuss your request with our team.

1 Like

@vlotty You are experiencing de delay due to the cold start functionality of the GPS system. In order to have a more rapid fix to the GPS network, the receiver must first download the almanac data which is broadcast with the GPS signal. The almanac helps the receiver sort out which satellite is which based on its position in the sky. In the telecommunications industry, this is referred to as ephemeris data.

Once the receiver has the almanac downloaded, it can lock on much mire quickly.

I hope this helps the process make a bit more sense.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Thanks for explaining that.

@Tai_AirGradient
Perhaps the AirGradient Go should have this in the manual for first time set up or somehow indicate to the user what it’s doing prior to the first GPS fix?

1 Like

Hi @vlotty, thanks for your feedback!

We have some articles here about the GPS, but we can add this detail to the quick start guide as well!

Hi @Adam_Ross thank you for sharing the info and welcome to our community!

Stream current dara to airgradinet server /error 401… whats the fix?,

Stream current data to AirGradient Server

Link this AirGradient Go to a cloud location before streaming current readings. ?

Added serial to harware in app…

I just received mine and it’s nice. Already hit 10,0000pm CO2 at work today (breweries are fun). Only issues I had are with the app slowing my phone to a crawl during a route and the eink screen refreshes alot.

Feature requests

  • ability to show CO2 levels on the LEDs with configurable thresholds (2000ppm is low here)
  • if there is individual control of the RGB LEDs, the ability to show both CO2 and AQI, one on each side.
  • avoiding refreshing the entire display and instead refresh the specific sections
  • ability to use the buzzer as an alarm for CO2 or AQI (or both) with configurable threshold for CO2
  • beep on button press
  • seperate LED and sensor polling settings when plugged in
  • the ability to always show the history graph (instead of disappearing when locked)
  • A continuous logging mode instead of a route, or a geofence to start a route (I want to log while at work)