AirGradient Forum

Can you use new fully assembled and tested Air Gradient One as a callibration source?

Can you use a new fully assembled and tested Air Gradient One for improving/calibrating an old Air Gradient One Kit that has had its PM2.5 sensor replaced?

I need to replace the PM2.5 sensor on my old Air Gradient One kit because I was silly enough to use an air duster on the enclosure which must of breached the vents towards the sensor. So I am thinking of buying a new Air Gradient One, this time a fully assembled and tested version plus an additional PM2.5 sensor for my old one. Was wondering if it makes sense to use the new tested AirGradient One to calibrate the old kit with replaced sensor? Or should i continue just using the batch sensor calibration formula for the replaced sensor?

Hi @breathez, please let me consult my team on this, and I will get back to you.

Thank you!

Hi @breathez, I hope you are doing well. Sorry for the late reply.

I discussed your question with one of our scientists, Siriel. Here’s what he said:

I think the batch-specific correction already does the job, provided that the correction corresponds to the batch of the sensor in the monitor. I don’t think there would be much additional value in using a fully assembled and tested monitor as a reference for calibration. However, it could serve as a sanity check to confirm that the corrections are working as expected.

If the two monitors are co-located, their values should be roughly the same after applying the correction. If they still deviate substantially, I would trust the fully assembled and tested monitor as the reference, although I would not expect a substantial difference.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have additional questions. Thank you!

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks Tai!

You’re welcome!

Let me know if you have any questions.