AirGradient dashboard claims AirGradient is not connected?

Hi,

I’ve logged into my AirGradient dashboard today but my DIY Pro doesn’t seem to be posting data to the dashboard anymore. I’ve received emails from notifications@airgradient.com saying that my sensors are offline and to connect my AirGradient to a power source and make sure it’s connectd to Wifi.

The device is definitely powered on and according to my router, it is currently connected to it over wifi (2.4GHz) and has an IP address. Additionally, I have not changed anything network related or AirGradient related in the recent past, so this disconnection is quite surprising, it’s been rock solid so far otherwise.

I’ve power cycled the DYI Pro but it’s still the same issue. The issue started for me at 8.25AM AEST (22.25PM UTC 23/09/2024) and it’s still ongoing over 4 hours later. However, there’s been one reading recorded in that timeframe at 00.25AM UTC 24/09/2024 from all sensors, so I don’t think this is a wifi connectivity issue?

Are there currently any problems with whicever API the dashboard uses / the DIY Pro submits its data to, that’s causing this issue? Perhaps Achim is performing some server maintenance perhaps? Where does one check to see if the service is down for maintenance?

Many thanks.

I’ve done some further troubleshooting while I was waiting for my post to be approved, so here’s some extra details:

• It doesn’t seem like there’s any firmware I can install using the in browser installers on the AirGradient firmware page for my model of AirGradient, so I can’t reflash the firmware it seems
  • The installation instructions say that an ad-hoc wifi network is created when the device powers up, but no such wifi network exists when I turn on my AirGradient
  • The device seems to connect to my wifi router (Asus RT-AX57) and it gets an IP address via DHCP, so I can gather its MAC address as well. Looking through the logs of my router however, matches for that MAC address shows that the AirGradient keeps getting deauthorized every 30 seconds or so. This is the only MAC address that this happens to, in the log.

I am starting to feel that the wifi capabilities of my AirGradient has gone kaputt, and there doesn’t seem to be a way to repair it? A real shame, as it’s less than 12 months old. Since it was a DIY version, it doesn’t look like there’s warranty either, so now I’m stuck with a device that doesn’t work, and a $138 USD hole in my pocket.

Please contact our support with your serial number. We might be able to trouble shoot this.

Hi Achim

Is the serial number the 6-character string that appears on the screen when it boots up?

Yes that’s the one you should send.

I also had devices with server connectivity issues today, so I think this is more a AirGradient Dashboard issue than your device.

There has been a beta firmware for the Pro models if you want to try that. Thanks is for the 3.7 board and in the forum is a link for the 4.2 board

The ad-hoc wifi network only appears when your configured network isn’t available, so with your Wi-Fi being around, I wouldn’t expect the ad-hoc to appear

For the deauth issue, you might try moving the monitor closer to the router just for testing, as I’ve seen odd things specific to the D1 boards where just just a few feet can make drastic changes in connection strength.

We checked our server logs but could not detect any problems.

So I did some more digging around my network environment and in the Dashboard, I put in a special rule in my DHCP settings in my router to allocate a manual IP address to the DIY Pro via MAC address, but outside of the usual DHCP IP address range (I have DHCP auto allocating IP addresses between 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.199, leaving .200 to .255 for manual / static IP addresses).

I then removed the DIY Pro from my dashboard, and then re-added it. It seems like it has worked now, stats from all sensors are feeding through to the dashboard and have done so for the past 12 hours.

Thanks to all of those who contributed to this discussion, much appreciated.