Wall mount via USB-C charger for DIY Pro kit?

Hi folks,

I’ve ordered the DIY Pro kit, and would like to know if I can plug it directly into a USB-C charger plugged into a wall outlet. The ultimate goal is to have Airgradient hang on the wall outlet without any wires going in and out.

According to its photos on the product page, it looks like a slim USB-C charger could fit inside the central square recess at the back of the unit. However, I’d like to know which dimensions it has and if you could recommend any particular chargers that worked with it.

Thank you!

I would recommend you replace your standard duplex receptacle with one that has a built in USB A or C port. You would avoid the use of a wall adapter altogether.

The cost of of a receptacle is slightly higher than a DC adapter, but it’s a surefire way to make it seamless.

1 Like

There is a step file of the enclosure on the built page and you can use that to measure the exact dimensions.

I think it might be a bit too small for a charger to fit.

1 Like

Good “out of the box” thinking (hehe)!
I rent, but my housing staff seemed to be ok with me swapping them.
I would still prefer a charger though, to avoid the extra hassle/cost of hiring an electrician.

EDIT: for anyone else wondering, I’ve just measured the hole to be 42.5mm. This might work.

Could you please let me know what wattage is required for the device?

A 5V, 1.5A charger should be sufficient.

1 Like

Decided to go with your solution, since I also have another smart device I wanted to integrate, so cannot avoid the hassle either way. I really like how I could feed a straight USB-C cable through the hole directly into D1, which will make it flush with the wall.

Glad to hear I could help. Not sure what the terms are of your lease, but if you are not familiar with swapping out wall outlets, it’s really not too difficult. You can YouTube it and do the job with a screwdriver, assuming you have access to a breaker and can cut the power.

1 Like