USB type C to USB type A cable recommendations

Hi,

I’m curious if anyone has some recommendations and sources for either the original USB type C to type A cable for the AG ONE kit or alternatives that fit in the case at 90°.

Thanks!

I don’t have any personal experience with these, but just about any cable that provides power should work. Here are two I found on Amazon that have right-angle USB-C ports with USB-A on the other side:

Amazon.com: Anker USB C Cable Right Angle, 2-Pack 6 ft USB-A to 90 Degree USB-C Braided Charging Cord, Durable Type C Cable for Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Note 9 / S10+ S10,LG V30 (USB 2.0, Black) : Electronics

Amazon.com: MRGLAS USB C Charger Cable 3.2A, [4-Pack,10+6.6+3.3+1.6FT] Type C Charger Fast Charging Cable Right Angle [90°& Gold-Plated] Durable Nylon Braided USB A to USB C Cord for Samsung S10 S9 Note 8 S21 LG : Electronics

The clearance in the cavity for right angle cables is limited, even width-wise (not just depth). Cables with those stress relief plastic on the end likely will not fit, even if it’s a right angle cable.

I think it would be nice to see the next iteration use an angled USB-C connector on the board, like how the Aqara FP2 does, to support a wider range of USB-C cables. It’s not a major issue though.

Could you get a picture of what this looks like?

I purchased these and they work well with the case. I don’t think anything larger would fit.

A few photos here (not mine): Aqara Presence Sensor FP2 Review « Blog | lesterchan.net

I thought it was slightly angled, but it looks like it’s just 90 degrees from where I assume the board is, and the plastic cavity offers enough space for a wider array of cables.

I just installed both one of these and an AG1 and so the comparison was fresh in my mind (they aren’t the same kind of product). AG1 still wins in my book, because the FP2 requires a USB-A charger as it doesn’t negotiate power correctly (iiuc?).

Interesting discussion. I would be curious to know how the FP2 pcb with the usb connector looks like. Does anybody have a picture?

My first feeling is that it could be quite difficult to implement with our enclosure design.

I will also add our standard cables into our online shop.

1 Like

I found some teardown images here that kinda show how it seems to work:
https://twitter.com/CyberModStudio/status/1640167801548840961

Edit, even better ones here:

Thank you. I expected it to have a small additional PCB. I think this will be difficult to implement with our current enclosure.