USB Power surge when connected to computer

Step: “Testing And Putting It Into The Enclosure” (At the end of Soldering the Components)
When I use the white 90-degree USB to type C cable that came with the DIY kit to connect the components to my computer, it gives this error message:

I am using the USB C socket in the middle of the board, not the D1 Mimi, to connect it to my computer. Is there supposed to be a different, right, way to “turn on” the air quality detector?

Note that I restarted my computer twice when this happened.

This indicates a short circuit somewhere on the board. Please show some high res images of the PCB with both sides.

please follow up! thank you!

You can power the board by plugging straight into the D1 mini. See if that works.

From your images, it looks like you have some solder bridging between the pins on the USB c connector.

Note: You may want to use some IPA to clean up the flux on your board. That will minimize glare in your photos.

Try taking a close up shot of the usb c connection pins.

Can you also take a close up of the connector soldering for the particulate sensor? It looks like it’s a continuous line of solder.

connecting it to the D1 mimi gave the same error.
Thanks for pointing it out, I do see the continuous line of solder for the PLANTOWER sensor connector, I will get that fixed.
here is a close-up shot of the USB-C soldering:

there is bridging between the last 2 pins so I will also get that fixed.

1 Like