Tip: High-impact air circulation in apartments/condos (without a whole-house fan or bringing in bugs)

Maybe this will help someone else. If your sensor reports higher readings of something than you’d prefer, normally one would open a window or two and flip on a whole-house fan (roof vent).

However, that means having a whole-house fan (many apartments and condos don’t have one), allowing in bugs or having a very fine window screen to keep tiny bugs out, and potentially allowing in a lot of cold air without really circulating that fresh air throughout the dwelling.

So, here’s a good substitute that I’ve tested and is effective for my dwelling: open one window a tiny bit. It might only be 0.5". Doesn’t need to be much. Then, turn on your bathroom and/or stove exhaust fans. These double as makeshift whole-house fans :slight_smile: Any one fan is probably enough, especially if it’s far away from the open window.

2 Likes

I did this around 11:30 today. Dark blue is the sensor on the main floor in a room between the cracked window and the bathroom fan.
Light blue and purple are in the basement and around 1:30 I turned on the HVAC circulation fan which started getting it to drop as well.

2 Likes