SNMP intergration

How likely is it that SNMP integration can be done for this device? I just bought 2 units; not really into home automation and I would like to have the units monitored by PRTG or similar, not to mention that this would make the device viable for a very wide range of applications and scenarios out of the box.

AFAIK, the device doesn’t expose any servers (at least with the stock firmware). Your best bet might be a minimal snmpd that exposes custom OIDs, and populates the values from the AG REST API. The Net-SNMPd “extend” operator is probably insecure, but seems like it would work: https://www.puppeteers.net/blog/extending-snmpd-with-custom-scripts/ , https://geekpeek.net/extend-snmp-run-bash-scripts-via-snmp/

Have “extend” invoke any script or wget/curl/shell script that outputs only the requested value.

If you’re mostly interested in PRTG itself, not other SNMP agents, REST API monitoring: check availability and up to 50 values with just one sensor might be able to poll the REST API natively.

Thank you, all that you said to me is gibberish, but I have some cleaver people with me. :slight_smile: let me see what they can make of this.

On another note, while I love to support this project, I suspect it’s not the right fit for us. Does anyone know where we might get something similar but not rely on the cloud and have out-the-box POE and SNMP support? USB is proving to be problematic, especially for outdoor use.

Our latest firmware now supports direct polling and mDNS. See the separate topic about the beta firmware.

Thank you, so when you say, ‘will roll it out in the next few days,’ do I need to do anything?

It’s already available but you need to flash it manually.

https://www.airgradient.com/documentation/firmwares/

OK i think you can tell I’m a nuwby the current instructions seem be clearly aimed at people that do this instead of other recreational activities:

Flashing Instructions
Important.

Please follow these steps for flashing only. If you only want to see debug messages and logs of the monitor see the instructions for logging:

1. Push the button on the PCB and keep it pushed
  2. Plug in the USB C cable
  3. Release the button. If you do not do this, the board will not get into the flash mode.
  4. Press the blue button above
  5. Select the serial port your monitor is connected to. It is typically called “USB JTAG / Serial Debug”
  6. Follow the instructions for flashing (where?)
  7. After the flashing is complete, restart the monitor by unplugging the USB C cable (and plugging it back in)

Do I need other hardware and/or software? I don’t see another port I can use; I guess you have a YouTube on this that is suitable for Nubies.

So the only unclear part is step 6?

There is just 2 popups that appears after you connect to the serial port and it gives the option to flash the firmware, or to view the logs. Just click to Install and then it has another window asking if you want to Erase or not and then a button to proceed. To me, it doesn’t seem to matter if you select to Erase or not, as the Wifi configuration is not saved either way currently, so might as well Erase and then it should install and reboot the device.

Thank you MallocArray; I did come across that particular titbit in the forum; however, it does not really help me here; maybe I’m ‘imbuing substances’ ; if it’s all done via the web interface, how does that work?

It’s unclear how to access this interface. Normally, you would need a communication cable, a port, and some programming software.

I can’t seem to connect to this interface. I was not asked to change any passwords, etc., so I can’t believe this would be easily accessible from the outside; that could be a bit problematic, but I’m guessing pressing the button solves that bit.

I’m sorry, but I’m used to commercial grade. I like to support this project, firmware upgrades should be front and centre in this case. I don’t see anything that helps me understand this.

I agree. We need to get more user friendly. This is one of the big parts we work on right now. This includes the instructions, our dashboard, and also the ability for automatic updates (OTA).

In the end we want to be able to be easy to use not only for the tech crowd but also ‘normal’ people.

2 Likes

Assuming you are using the Indoor AirGradient ONE v9, you would go to this page on your computer:
The AirGradient ONE Air Quality Sensor (Presoldered-Version, PCB Version 9)

You most likely will need to use the instructions under the “BOOT Error” as I’ve had to use that every time. Use a paperclip/toothpick/mini-screwdriver to press the button behind the small hole in the back of the unit while plugging in a USB-C cable into your computer. Once it is plugged in, you no longer need to press the button. Then click the blue “Flash Now” button on the webpage. and follow the directions.

You don’t need to any programming software as this is using a tested and compiled version to put a factory image on your device. Once that is successful, you’ll use the wifi-hotspot that is mentioned on the same page just under the numbered instructions.