Possible Upgrade Component Option for Airgradient - Sensiron SEN55-SDN-T

From what I understand the Plantower line of sensors are pretty solid but the Sensiron SEN55-SDN-T seems to be more accurate and a better value proposition. Was wondering if there was physical room and integration support to swap the Plantower with this sensor. Not only does it measure particulate matter on a finer level, it also has relative humidity, temperature, VOC, and an NOx Index. The life of this unit is also rated for a very long time. It is supported by ESPhome and there are drivers on Github.

I like products that have options where you can choose the least expensive build while also having an upgrade path when you find you would benefit from other similar components of a higher price. The newest pro board is quite awesome and I am glad it supports the Bosch BME line of sensors along with the SHT and SGP. Having some overlap really satisfies the curiosity of the accuracy of the sensors along with the ability to compare values, and a backup should some of the sensors fail.

1 Like

We are keeping an eye on new sensor developments but there is also increased complexity making something work reliably with many different sensors. The whole kit is open source, so there are no limits that the community explores these sensors.
One problem of the SEN55 series is that as far as I know they do not have screw holes so mounting them on a PCB might be challenging without designing an extra holder.

1 Like