OLED Display not showing anything (OLED is blank)

I assembled the Kit of DIY BASIC on the breadboard first, just to try whether it works or not, after it’s successful I will move it to the PCB, but after I assemble it why doesn’t the screen turn on?
I have been going through the instructions on the Air Gradient Site as well as Jeff Geerling’s video and have found that my OLED display does not show anything after flashing with the “DIY Basic” example sketch. I have tried uploading the blink example which worked no problems. However, after uploading the DIY BASIC sketch, I get no lights and the OLED is blank. I have looked through the forum with no luck.

Thanks

1 Like

Mine (pro 4.2) did the same but booted - somewhat - once I disconnected the SHT (temp sensor). Still working out why.

Thanks for the reply, I already disconnected SHT30 but the OLED still dont show anything

In our built instructions the OLED display is mounted directly on top of the D1 mini.

In your breadboard version it is difficult to verify if all required pins are connected.

Thank, now it works

How to connect the monitor to the dashboard? I mean, how to fill the ssd and password with?

@Fajar_Lukmanul_hakim This should help:

Weird, I’m having the same problem. If I connect the SHT3X to my DIY Pro Pre-soldered with PCB v3.3, the screen stays blank; nothing shows up. But I can see the wifi is on, and can ping the device normally.

If I disconnect the SHT module, then the screen works normally, although the last line show temperature/humidity as 0.00.

I tried flashing the standard DIY PRO via the browser, as well as flashing via arduino (using examples/DIY_Pro folder), and same behavior, so it doesn’t seem to be firmware related.

Did I get the wrong SHT or maybe it’s defective? The instructions say SHT31, but the SHT PCB says “SHT3X”.

Thanks!

edit: adding screenshots.

Can you try and plug the SHT sensor on the top of the board where ut says I2C 3.3v? Just make sure the labels align:

VIN <-> 3V3
GND <-> GND
etc

Please let us know the result.

Same thing – no display, but device is alive and responds to ping.

EDIT: I sniffed the http connection to see if it the SHT sensor was reading something when connected (despite display being blank), but all I got was 0.00.

Connection received on ESP-1361B8.mydomain 53018
POST /sensors/airgradient:1361b8/measures HTTP/1.1
Host: myserver:9999
User-Agent: ESP8266HTTPClient
Accept-Encoding: identity;q=1,chunked;q=0.1,*;q=0
Connection: keep-alive
content-type: application/json
Content-Length: 58

{"wifi":-62, "rco2":621, "pm02":25, "atmp":0.00, "rhum":0}

Please contact our support. You probably need a new SHT.
https://www.airgradient.com/support/

1 Like

Ha, spot on!

I connected the SHT31 to a Raspberry Pi, and i2cdetect wasn’t able to find anything on the bus. Just to confirm that was the culprit, I got a new SHT31 from Amazon, and the display immediately came to life, and it’s now showing temp/humidity properly.

This confirms the early comments on this thread that a defective SHT may cause the display to go blank.

Thanks a lot!