Launching the Open AirGradient Outdoor Monitor

Just want to let people here in the forum know that we have officially launched our open hardware outdoor monitor for pre-order as we have completed the design.

The Key Features of the Monitor are:

• Fully open-source code so you can easily make adjustments
  • Pre-soldered, easy to assemble, no soldering required
  • Custom designed, beautiful weather proof enclosure
  • Measures PM1, PM2.5, PM10, temperature and humidity
  • Dual Plantower PM5003T sensors for enhanced accuracy
  • Wemos D1 MCU
  • Includes 2m USB C cable
  • PCB has a slot for TVOC or other sensor (sensor not included)
  • 24 months AirGradient data platform / map (or connect it to your own server)

More information can be found on our dedicated page.

If you want to get the pre-order discount and support the production of this unit you can order now in our online shop.

Any questions or feedback, happy to discuss here.

1 Like

One question just came up about mounting. It can be mounted on wall or poles (with ZIP ties). Here a render of the backside.

1 Like

The PM5003 datasheet says:

• Working Temperature Range: -10~+60 (C)
  • Storage Temperature Range: -40~+80 (C)

I live in a place where -20C is not unheard of. Do you know if that’s OK? Should the PMs be turned off when the temperature dips below -10?

This looks really cool!

Interesting point, I believe it will not destroy the sensor but I will check with the manufacturer and report back here.

2 Likes

Will it be possible to eventually use this device to contribute to IQAir similar to PurpleAir and AirVisual monitors?

Yes this is exactly what we want to enable with the open hardware / open software design. We will provide open integrations into platforms that share the data but prefer non-profit platforms.

I am already in touch with openAQ that already has one of the largest collection of data points on air quality.

1 Like

@JacobP Checked with the manufacturer. They believe the sensor will not be damaged up to -20C but beyond that they are not sure.

Fingers crossed there’s eventually a v2 that’s got a battery. I don’t have a way to power it, but wouldn’t mind strapping one outside, and let it live in low power mode and take reading every hr for example to extend battery life.

You could fine tune the code and put it into longer sleep modes.
Then use a power bank might make it run for quite some time.

The enclosure also allows mounting a solar panel on top (which we do not have yet) but open for makers :wink: