Issues with Reconnecting to Network

Hello,

I’ve been using three AG Monitors (I-9PSL, O-1PST and O-1PPT), which’ve worked great overall. However, I am now in the Philippines, and there are internet/power cuts every day. I’ve found that I can’t even get my three monitors to stay connected to the dashboard for 24 hours, and it’s very frustrating.

For example, there was a blackout last night for around 10 minutes, after which the monitors came back on. However, the router took a few more minutes to reboot, meaning that my monitors had no network to connect to for a few minutes. During this time of no internet, they rebooted, but I guess they were in offline mode. They will not reconnect until I manually restart them (unplug and plug in) when the WiFi is back online. The issue seems to be the same if the internet drops for more than a few minutes, and the monitors won’t reconnect until I manually restart them.

Could there be a way (or at least an option on the dashboard) to check WiFi again every set interval (five minutes, ten minutes, etc) so the monitors can reconnect without my input? I understand the readings during this period will be lost; I just want the monitors to automatically reconnect as I can’t even keep them reporting to the dashboard for more than a full day here, and I’m sure other people with similar situations will encounter the same issue.

I’m not sure how PurpleAir does it, but the couple of monitors I have from them consistently reconnect and don’t require any input from me.

I’ve checked the dashboard, but I can’t see an option. If I’m missing something super obvious, please let me know!

All monitors were manually updated to 3.1.1, and I don’t know if they can automatically update OTA to 3.1.3 (which mentions ’ Removed server and WiFi errors in offline mode’) as I can’t find a way to check the version they’re running.

1 Like

@Ethan_AirGradient We can reproduce this issue. Github ticket has been created. I believe this will be fixed in the next version.

Thank you, much appreciated! This has been causing a few headaches in my comparisons, so I look forward to having it updated.

This issue is actually a bit more than above.

My three units were doing this, booting up before the wifi was up after a power failure and never connecting.

Updating to 3.1.3 appears to have fixed it, but now all three (one outdoor, two indoor) units now regularly drop their wifi connection even without a power failure, and never reconnect.

I believe I could have experienced the same, but I just attributed it to poor internet which regularly drops. However, I believe I may have experienced the same, as they very regularly drop connection now.

Seeing the same issue with my I-9PSL unit on 3.1.3. Looking forward to getting this fixed! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

We are rolling out firmware 3.1.4 in the coming days and that should fix it.

3 Likes

The new firmware is out, so everyone experiencing this issue can now update.

I have updated my three monitors and will check over the coming days if everything is working now!

So far, this seems to have solved my issue. As you can see, there are a few periods where my monitors disconnected due to a lack of internet/electricity, but they come back online by themselves once everything is back.

1 Like

My three are looking good, the issue hasn’t occurred since around the 3rd of July.

Thanks for the fix.

1 Like

Power is unstable in the USA, too. There are predictable outages each time it rains.

I wanted to have a look at my data for the past month, but it turns out that the AirGradient 3.1.1 dropped the connection on June 26, 2024. And it never reconnected. Since I didn’t notice the lack of reconnection at the time, I’m missing all of the data from that period.

Just now, I installed 3.1.4 and the connection seems to be back.

Thanks for the update! I appreciate it.

Strangely, the display on the AirGradient unit went dark after the update. Previously, I could see white text and now it is completely black with no text. Is there something I need to do to make the display come back? It looks like it is turned off now…

The dashboard only seems to show one data point per hour, so I cannot see if the device is working or not by viewing the dashboard.

Instead, I went ahead and downloaded the data for the last few months.

My observations:

1. All of the data before the firmware update is gone, even though I did not check the box “erase data” during the firmware update.
  2. I can see new data each minute in the “export.csv” file, but new data only shows up once per hour in the dashboard.

Here is the data export showing that the device is recording data each minute, even though the dashboard is not updating and the display on the device is turned off:

My questions:

1. How can I get the display to turn back on?
  2. Can we get more data in the dashboard instead of one data point per hour?

In the upper right corner of the graph, what scale do you have yours set to? Mine seems to have defaulted to “Last 24 Hours (5 min)” meaning the entire graph is showing 24 hours, but each bar represents a 5 minute increment, I assume an average over that 5 min.

I wonder if yours is set to “Last Week (1 Hour)”

For the display being black, the newer firmware does support a Night Mode where the LED bar and display can be dimmed during a set Night Time. Maybe it was during that window when you were looking at the sensor, or need to change it to Default Values
AirGradient LED and Display Page

1 Like