Issues flashing new indoor one v9 kit

I started by attempting to use the browser flash process but it was never able to see the airgradient when connected via usb to my windows 10 PC. went ahead and started down the path of installing all the arduino IDE dependencies to attempt to go that route. It also was unable to see the board.

At some point while sitting with it plugged in it finally randomly popped up in device manager as “USB JTAG/serial debug unit” under USB devices section.

This prompted me to go back to the web flash utility. when using it now the associated com port now shows up (as paired) and I am able to see the logs. however when attempting to install AirGradient ONE (Arduino) 13DEC23 0.0.13 and hitting the button, it prepares the installation and then I get an error stating it failed to initialize. tried the holding boot button while hitting install as it recommends. I have also tried to get the unit into its ‘special boot mode’ as part of my previous troubleshooting to get it to show up in device manager. holding button, plugging in power and releasing. if I touch the button that is accessible through the case at all prior to the device booting it will no long attempt to boot at all and just has blank screen, no lights etc, until i remove and reinstall usb-c cord.

kept going in circles at this point. finally realizing that i was in the special boot mode when the device looked unresponsive…

not sure if that is intended or not possible to indicate currently that you are in the flashable boot mode, but damn that is super frustrating without it being outlined somewhere.

also after getting a successful flash message on the popup for the webflash button everything is working again after reassociating to wireless network, but i do not see anywhere the firmware version is indicated. on my dashboard it just shows target firmware of 1.0.0 still.

Where did you find the instructions for holding the boot button while plugging in? If you got it here:
https://www.airgradient.com/documentation/one-v9/#booterror
Do you have any suggestions on what would be helpful to clarify?

Maybe adding something in parentheses after releasing the boot button that the display will be black?

I think step 4 that talks about pressing “the blue button above” can be clarified that it is the button on the webpage, since the previous steps talked about the button on the physical AirGradient and there isn’t a blue one that could cause confusion.

FYI the device seeming unresponsive is exactly what the special boot mode should do. If one of the sensors was interrupting the ability to flash the software in normal mode, the the boot mode where the sensors, displays, and LEDs are disabled allow the flashing to be successful.