Indoor and outdoor sensors showing different data side by side

I just set up my indoor and outdoor sensors and I noticed that even though they’re sitting mere centimetres apart (I just finished the setup and haven’t taken the outdoor one outside yet), they are sending very different measurements. Any reason why?

1 Like

Thank you.

A few questions:

• does the indoor one have the stands on and is sitting up right? So the air can easily flow through the vents, especially the bottom vents?

• which firmware versions are the two monitors on?

• which city are you located? What is the current ambient PM approximately?

1 Like

Thanks for replying, Achim.

does the indoor one have the stands on and is sitting up right? So the air can easily flow through the vents, especially the bottom vents?

Yes, It is sitting upright with both stands on. It’s on my desk there’s nothing blocking the air from flowing into any of the vents.

which firmware versions are the two monitors on?

The indoor one is on 1.1.2
The outdoor one is on 0.6.4

which city are you located? What is the current ambient PM approximately?

Almada, Portugal
According to the Plume app, the current PM2.5 in the closest station (which is a around 5 Km away and in a much more densely populated area) is 14.
According to my indoor sensor, it is currently 2.1.
And according to the outdoor one, it is 8.6

Is the 14 PM measured in µg/m³ or US AQI? I just want to make sure we compare the same units here.

It’s µg/m³. They show the AQI in the general view but I went into the details to see the PM values.

Please contact our support team via our website form and send us your serial numbers of the monitor. We can then check in more detail.

Did you end up finding what the issue was?

1 Like

I believe so. Achim checked a few things with me when I reached out via the support form, and he believes it is a malfunctioning PM sensor. We’re going to try to replace it and it should fix the problem.

1 Like

I assume you bought the kit version? The fully assembled version is supposed to come with its own test report so the malfunction would have probably been detected before shipping.

No, I bought the pre-assembled version.
I actually found the report last night and the numbers seem to be OK. :man_shrugging:

Yes in @borfast case the test report looked good and it seems it got damaged during transportation.

We have very few cases this happens but I guess it’s unavoidable from time to time.

You mentioned Portugal. Could you share your experience with any customs’ charges applied to your AirGradient units? I plan to order from Portugal, at least the indoor model, and would like to have an idea beforehand of what charges to expect. Thanks

I was also afraid I’d get charged customs taxes but it didn’t happen, I received the sensors without any hiccups about 8-10 days after they were shipped - which, I should say, is quite impressive. I haven’t ordered anything from outside the EU in some time but in my experience, it usually takes a lot longer.

Shipping times and if people get charged customs varies quite a lot so it’s difficult to make exact predictions.

Thanks for your feedback!