How close would you put multiple indoor Airgradient units?

How close together do you put your multiple Airgradient indoor units?

I live in a small apartment, and there’s a kitchen area, a living room, as well as a bedroom on the same level.

My question is - does it make any sense to put multiple Airgradient units here?

For example, should I put one in the kitchen area, and one in the living room are (there’s no wall/door separating them, and those areas are probably around 8 metres apart?). I assume things like cooking etc would affect air quality, but that would eventually just waft out to the living area, right?

Or would it make more sense to just say, forgo the kitchen area Airgradient unit, and put one in the living room only?

The bedroom is on the same level, and is probably also around 6 metres away from the kitchen in the other direction, but has a door you can close - so I guess it would make sense to put a separate unit inside the bedroom, right?

Thanks!
Victor

Definitely the bed room should have its own monitor because it’s separated by a door from the rest of the unit.

Do you have a hood in the kitchen? If so, the negative pressure it creates might lead to quite different measurements between living room area and kitchen.

From my experiences with other brands, and Airgradient:

Bedrooms: CO2 measurements can get very interesting here, especially at night. If you are interested in CO2 readings then place units in the bedrooms. CO2 is heavier than air, so once a door is open long enough the CO2 readings will equalize to the adjacent rooms. The readings will depend greatly on how many people and the size of the bedroom. A small room with 4 people sleeping in a bedroom will have a much higher CO2 reading than a large room with 1 person, keep this in mind.

Kitchens: PM (Particulate Matter) will fluctuate greatly if you do lots of cooking.

Living room: PM (Particulate Matter) will fluctuate greatly if open your windows often and if your region/city have high pollution levels.

If you only have 1 Airgradient, put it in the bedroom first for a week so you can get a nice chart. Then work your way out to the other rooms.

Overtime, depending on your living conditions, the combinations of all the sensors will give you a better picture of your environment… and over a course of a few years you will see patterns. You can then use these patterns to automatically turn on/off the humidifiers, air-conditioners, heaters, air filters, exhaust fans… etc.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes