DIY Pro running ESPHome temp/humidity offset

I noticed all 3 of my DIY Pro sensors running ESPHome on Home Assistant were reporting unusually high temp by around 15 F and lower humidity. Red area in picture. I looked at a History graph in Home Assistant and noticed this change happened last week, probably around the time I did an update. But the Logs in HA don’t go that far back so I can’t confirm the exact versions. However this morning I did update to ESPHome 2023.9.3 for all sensors.

Also today I took off the rear case from one of my sensors (Guest Room) and have it right next to 2 other temp monitors but its still reporting high. You can see when I take off the lid as the reading gets more noisy. Green in picture.

Anyone else with ESPHome notice the same with the 2023.9.x series of updates?

This and another ThermoPro sensor are reporting 80F but with the DIY Pro rear lid off its reporting 90F

I have the exact same issue… started immediately after the update (2023.9.1 I believe.) It seemed to me that something in the case was overheating, because when powering it up after its cooled, you can see the temp steadily rise until they level out. Even the orientation of the case impacts the steady state offset, as the convection cooling changes. I’ve just had mine unplugged for the last week or so, didn’t have time to further investigate it.

1 Like

I was going to ask what orientation you have yours sitting, as I got a pretty significant difference after going from sitting flat on its back, to using the little feet to stand it up on edge so it could get air from the bottom vents up through the entire enclosure.

I’m still running ESPHome 2023.8.3, but I"ll keep an eye out when I do upgrade

Normally its on a stand from my post here: Calibrate Humidity Sensor - #11 by handro

Been running with the back cover off for the past day and temp is still about 10F higher than other sensors right next to it. The ESP does feel a bit warm to the touch but shouldn’t matter in this open air configuration.

I’m curious if you see the same changes after upgrading.

Another user posted this from ESPHome’s issue tracker:
SHT3X-D reports too high temp / too low humidity readings · Issue #2887 · esphome/issues (github.com)

Looks like they added a new parameter heater_enabled that defaults to true in the latest version. Setting it to false may return you to the values you were used to

SHT3X-D Temperature+Humidity Sensor — ESPHome

Thanks. Not sure how I missed that. Adding the heater_enabled: false fixed it for me.

The latest version 2023.10.0 does not enable SHT3x heater by default anymore.

1 Like