DIY Pro kit temperature reading high

I have a Pro kit and the temperature consistently reads about 4-5 °C higher than it should. For example, it is currently saying 28.3 °C and it is actually 23-24 °C. It has been like this ever since I assembled the kit about 2 months ago. The Sensiron website claims the SHT31 has an accuracy of 0.2 °C. Any ideas why mine is so far out?

Did you mount the kit on the wall? Does it have unobstructed airflow from the bottom vents? Ideally it needs to use the natural convection flow.

It is mounted on the wall. There is nothing else around it. I’ll try it on a table instead and see if it’s different.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Over the last couple of days, I’ve tried it on a wall, lying down, upside down, in a different room and out of it’s case. It still reads high by about the same amount (4-5 °C).

To check if its a problem of the sensor module, can you open the enclosure and see if the temperature comes down or put a fan in front of it. Then we can see if the cause is from other active components inside or from a faulty sensor.

Hi there, it seems that I have a similar problem. I’ve just received my diy basic kit, assembled today and found the temp reading 3-4 celsius above all other devices in five different places. Is there any compensating method or heat sensor needs to be replaced?

1 Like

This is a common problem on the Basic kit because of the proximity to the PMS sensor. We developed a probe you can print out.
More details here:

Hi,

could this be related to this: https://github.com/esphome/issues/issues/2887

The sensor apparently has a heater, which is beneficial in some conditions, but will read too high (and too low temperature) when on, in other conditions.

I turned it off, and I now have normal readings.