Buying the right wemos

When searching for parts, I see “NodeMCU” and “LUA” often. Are all Wemos D1 Mini units also “NodeMCU” and “Lua”?

I may have bought the Pro version in my first attempt. I’m about to decide that these two units are defective or difficult to work with (No connect to Arduino IDE with 3 computers , two OSs, 4+ cables) . If they are not defective, will the Pro version work?

The issues I had with arduino are in most cases USB-Cable issues. Not all Micro/Mini-USB cables are supposed to be for data transfer, some of them only transfer power, so you might try different ones.

To Wemos: the Wemos’ I know, all use a “non plug-and-play” chipset for programming. Depending on your version, you might have the CH340 chipset instead of the more expensive CP2102. the CH340 needs additional driver to work properly. Maybe check these guides or similar if its your first time: CH340 Windows 10 driver download | arduined.eu

See

The other differences between pro and non etc. are mostly about available storage, like 4MB, 16MB, or even less. That should not make a different on how you can program them.

So I think your issues might be the CH340 driver?

Thanks so much for your detailed reply, with pictures! Much appreciated.

The issues I had with arduino are in most cases USB-Cable issues

One difference I have noticed is that with cables is that (what I assume to be) data sync cables, when there is a Wemos on the end of it, result in the Windows three-tone “USB sound” when they are plugged into a Windows machine, and the charge-only cables are quiet. I don’t know if having a driver affects this. Otherwise, I’m not sure how to tell. Trying to “ohm out” the inside of a USB micro connector may lead to my madness.

The devices in your picture are larger beasts, 30 pins instead of 16.

The “new news” is that I have received some more D1 Minis, and have been successful in connecting to them with the Arduino IDE, on one computer, and run the Blink example on it. It is a huge relief to get that much working; and with something working, it will be much easier to debug my first Arduino effort.

So I think your issues might be the CH340 driver?

That is still possible. It looks like the devices I originally received, on the right in the photos below, use a device marked 2104. (“Pros”, ordered from AliExpress using the link here on the /diy page, but wrong “color” ordered or received; I believe these are 4M Pros.) The devices I just received from Amazon are on the left, and also may be 4M, but maybe not Pros.

Anyway, is is strange that I was able to connect to the new devices from my macOS 10.14 hackintosh desktop, where I had not installed additional drivers, but not from my macOS 10.14 MacBook Pro laptop where I attempted to install a Mac '340 driver. I’ll have to try again on Windows and carefully read the webpage you linked.

The left in the pictures is the ch340 version, the right one seem to be 210X as you said.
So for the left you should need drivers, the other one not.

I can happen das you receive a batch of broken “hardware” from ali. But in these cases you can open dispute an get your money back, most of the times I been pretty lucky with that.

@Barton if you use our PCB, it is important that you use the Wemos D1 mini board and not any other ESP82xx boards (like NodeMCU) as they will not fit the PCB.

@Achim_AirGradient Fit electrically or physically? I’ve compared the silkscreen labels on the two types of processors, the PCB, and the OLED shield, and I can’t find an issue. I’m guessing that the NodeMCU name applies to various devices, or the name is being used incorrectly – if I search Amazon for “Wemos D1 mini” all the devices say NodeMCU in the item name or description.

Any further suggestions? I’m still confused about this. I may continue with the devices on the left in my photos above. At least I can get the “blink” example to work with those.

The blue devices in your photos are fine.

There is another model that looks like wemos but has much more “connectors” (ESP32) versions

That ones and the nodeMCU (as in my picture) does NOT work for airgradient

Late to this discussion, but I successfully used these with the AirGradient PCB.