Airgradient rebooting itself?

Yes, hardware serial port will be 100% rock solid.

Yay! I’m so glad that even if I never get down to the bottom of this, at least we have several work-arounds that are effective. And I don’t think you give up anything with any of the workarounds. As you can see below, you can have the latest Arduino core if you swap out to the previous-to-last version of SoftwareSerial. Or you can have everything if you build it with the debug flag. At least with my limited time testing it (~12-24h). We’ll have to run for weeks to see if that holds up.

Keep in mind that my make-shift uptime display/print-out is crude and is just based on the internal Arduino millis() function, which is an unsigned-long (32-bits) that counts up the milliseconds from the beginning of time (when it boots). When it reaches it’s maximum value of 0xFFFF_FFFF, it’s going to rollover to 0x0000_0000. That takes exactly 2^32 milliseconds = ~49.7102696 days (not counting clock accuracy tolerances and drift). I guess we can write a bit of code to detect the overflow condition and count them in an unsigned-int , which would give us a limit of 2^(32+16) milliseconds = ~8,919.59429 years.

Update for the day:

The Core v3.1.1 with the older version of SoftwareSerial (v6.12.7, included in Core v3.0.x) was up for 14+ hours. I then moved on to test all the combinations of Core and SoftwareSerial, up to 8-hours each for the passing ones. Even with 13 releases between them, I took a chance and skipped all the way to the last 6.x.x release, which happens to be the previous-to-current release. This validated my hunch that it was major version 7.0.0 of SoftwareSerial that is making it crash. Here’s a handy chart of where we’ve been and where we are:

Test Configuration Default? Result
Core v3.1.1 + SoftwareSerial v7.0.0 [X] Exception 0
Core v3.1.1 + SoftwareSerial v6.17.1 Working
Core v3.1.1 + SoftwareSerial V6.12.7 Working
Core v3.0.2 + SoftwareSerial v7.0.0 Exception 0
Core v3.0.2 + SoftwareSerial v6.17.1 Working
Core v3.0.2 + SoftwareSerial V6.12.7 [X] Working
Core v3.1.1 + build_type = release [X] Exception 0
Core v3.1.1 + build_type = debug Working
Core v3.1.1 Exception 0
Core v3.0.2 Working
Core v3.0.0 Working

Next steps? Well, the Core contributors had some hunches of what could be sources of the problem (related to ISRs not in IRAM), so I’ve capture a set of ELF files that may help to tell if that is the case. There’s also a pre-processor directive macro that was suggested that could hopefully make the stack dump more informative and give us a hint as to which part of the code called the circular_queue::available() function that is resulting in an Exception 0.

I may also reach out to the SoftwareSerial contributors via an issue report to see if they could make something out of it.

1 Like

I’ve still been testing on the ESPHome side. Since @ken830 was going down the path of the serial output being a culprit, I was looking at my config with OLED, PMS5003, and SPG30 and reboots often, but not regular. I tried removing the OLED config (soldered to the board so couldn’t remove it easily) with no luck, but if I unplug the PMS5003, then it was stable, but no readout.

Watching the logs, I was flooded with readings from both PMS and SGP, even though I’m only reporting the readings back to HomeAssistant every 30 seconds. So if the serial output is causing issues, I tried reducing the Update_Interval from the default of every 1 second, to every 120 seconds. This cuts down on the output tremendously and so far looks really good, as I’ve been up for 16 hours without a reboot. I still need to re-enable my OLED in this config and then I may try going back to regular updates from the SPG and see if it is only the PMS or the other way around that is causing an issue with the serial output. I could also change the logging from the default of DEBUG and maybe go to INFO instead. (SGP30 has a message that to be optimized it needs to be updated every seconds)

[11:04:18][W][sgp30:289]: Update interval for SGP30 sensor must be set to 1s for optimized readout
[11:04:18][I][sgp30:127]: Current eCO2 baseline: 0x930C, TVOC baseline: 0x98D6
[11:04:47][D][pmsx003:234]: Got PM1.0 Concentration: 0 µg/m^3, PM2.5 Concentration 0 µg/m^3, PM10.0 Concentration: 0 µg/m^3
[11:04:47][D][sensor:126]: 'Particulate Matter <2.5µm Concentration': Sending state 0.00000 µg/m³ with 0 decimals of accuracy
[11:05:06][D][sensor:126]: 'WiFi Signal': Sending state -59.00000 dBm with 0 decimals of accuracy
[11:05:09][D][sensor:126]: 'Uptime Sensor': Sending state 56092.21875 s with 0 decimals of accuracy
[11:06:06][D][sensor:126]: 'WiFi Signal': Sending state -57.00000 dBm with 0 decimals of accuracy
[11:06:09][D][sensor:126]: 'Uptime Sensor': Sending state 56152.21875 s with 0 decimals of accuracy
[11:06:18][D][sgp30:282]: Got eCO2=400.0ppm TVOC=0.0ppb
[11:06:18][W][sgp30:289]: Update interval for SGP30 sensor must be set to 1s for optimized readout
[11:06:18][I][sgp30:127]: Current eCO2 baseline: 0x930C, TVOC baseline: 0x98D6
[11:06:47][D][pmsx003:234]: Got PM1.0 Concentration: 0 µg/m^3, PM2.5 Concentration 0 µg/m^3, PM10.0 Concentration: 0 µg/m^3
[11:06:47][D][sensor:126]: 'Particulate Matter <2.5µm Concentration': Sending state 0.00000 µg/m³ with 0 decimals of accuracy
[11:07:06][D][sensor:126]: 'WiFi Signal': Sending state -58.00000 dBm with 0 decimals of accuracy
[11:07:09][D][sensor:126]: 'Uptime Sensor': Sending state 56212.21875 s with 0 decimals of accuracy
[11:08:06][D][sensor:126]: 'WiFi Signal': Sending state -57.00000 dBm with 0 decimals of accuracy
[11:08:09][D][sensor:126]: 'Uptime Sensor': Sending state 56272.21875 s with 0 decimals of accuracy
[11:08:18][D][sgp30:282]: Got eCO2=400.0ppm TVOC=0.0ppb
[11:08:18][W][sgp30:289]: Update interval for SGP30 sensor must be set to 1s for optimized readout

Thanks a ton @ken830 for all the effort, was pretty convinced coming into this that I had broken something with my soldering, don’t know if I could have figure all this out myself. I have reflashed my board with the 3.0.2 version today and haven’t noticed any issues so far. I am going to try adding the uptime code when I can to keep track of it as well.

Otherwise I did start noticing a variety of other issues in the last few days, not sure if they were new or if I was just paying more attention. I had the PM/AQI reading go negative for about ten minutes once, and a few times the temperature and humidity went to zero for a few seconds, then the whole screen refreshes and its back to normal. Otherwise there were just many many reboots sometimes multiple in the span of a few minutes. Hopefully I won’t have any more issues to report but I might try to take a crack at the debug myself at some point. Thanks again all!

Realized you can’t edit posts after a certain time. Does anyone know if there is a way to pin posts or make them easily visible to anyone new who find this thread having this issue? I want to make the workaround easily visible.

WORKAROUND AS OF JAN 28 2023

============================================

If you are having frequent random reboots the temporary solution @ken830 has found is to revert your esp8266 Arduino Core version to v3.0.2, as some updates in v3.1.0 seem to be causing this issue. Ken has several posts in this thread exploring this issue and narrowing down that fix, if you wan to know more about why it happens feel free to scroll back and read some of them, but if you just want a quick fix this should help:

If you are interested in tracking the uptime of your board or helping to track this issue here is Ken’s code to print the uptime to the screen:

If you are unsure how to implement this fix:

• Follow these instructions from AirGradient to set up the Arduino IDE, but instead of installing the latest version of the ESP8266 platform, install version 3.0.2.
    Install the Arduino Software and D1 Mini
  • Follow the relevent build instructions for your board to manually flash the firmware (under “Manual Flashing With The Arduino Software”)
    Built instructions
1 Like

Trying to remove the row post limitation but seems Discourse does not have a setting for it. Only OP can row post.

Update for the day:

If you want to read the interaction between the ESP8266 Arduino Core contributors and myself, you can follow-along on the github issue page: https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/issues/8830

From the data I was able to provide, the contributors are making a commit to instruct the linker to force the function into IRAM: https://github.com/mcspr/esp8266-Arduino/commit/4d5c2d8425a56ee2911c703be8e981bf187fbf64

For the macro that I mentioned in yesterday’s update, we had to go back and forth to get everything working. The macro needs a special build option flag (-fno-optimize-sibling-calls) to prevent some optimization that would inhibit this from working.

At first, I tried to do this in PlatformIO because its very easy to set build flags. But then I realized that I couldn’t implement the macro in PlatformIO because the Exception Decoder needs the build_type = debug flag to work, but the flag itself seems to prevent any exceptions.

So, I looked for a way to add flags in the Arduino IDE. That was a small rabbit hole because there’s no dedicated method for users to add flags. And many ways of adding flags could overwrite the flags defined by platform developers, so it has to be done carefully and with full understanding of what is or isn’t being overwritten. This is still an open issue that is being discussed as of today (https://github.com/arduino/arduino-cli/issues/846). Good thing I was already working with our platform developers, so I was pointed to how to add the flag by creating a file <SketchName>.ino.globals.h with the flag defined as such:

/*@create-file:build.opt@
-fno-optimize-sibling-calls
*/

But the only way for it to work is to update the mkbuildoptglobals.py file that implements the new method of adding build flags (), which will be included in the upcoming v3.1.2 release. The funny thing is I already had the new mkbuildoptglobals.py file ~3 days ago because I needed it to workaround the issue with not being able to compile with v3.1.1 in Arduino IDE v1.8x to get to the Exception Decoder in the first place! LOL! I talked about this in my update a few days ago. Anyway, with that new file already in place, I was able to get the macro implemented, add the build-flag and get a few new exception stack dumps to the developer who was able to confirm the source of the call to circular_queue::available() is SoftwareSerial::rxBitISR. One of the developers already opened a new issue in the espsoftwareserial (https://github.com/plerup/espsoftwareserial/issues/270) github repository.

I guess now it’s time to wait for the developers to figure out the best solution to fix this. I don’t have enough understanding to contribute further, but I’m just glad I was able to give them enough information to pinpoint the exact location and cause of the problem.

In the meantime, the workaround remains to revert to esp8266 Arduino Core v3.0.2, building with the build_type = debug flag in PlatformIO, or manually overwrite SoftwareSerial that is included in Core v3.1.1 with an older version (v6.17.1) downloaded directly from the espsoftwareserial repository here: https://github.com/plerup/espsoftwareserial/releases/tag/6.17.1

As of today, I have tested these workarounds for up to 12-24h only because I only have one unit and needed to make progress with the debug process. I (and I’m sure others) will update here if these workarounds are not durable over a longer time period.

One thing to mention. I have only looked at pin-pointing the exception, but I haven’t dug into anything we’re doing with the PMS5003 sensor or the S8 sensor. Each of these are on SoftwareSerial ports, but it feels like only the PMS sensor is the main culprit of the crashes but I don’t know why and I haven’t even looked in that direction yet. I do recall reading that the PMS samples or reports more frequently when the PM levels are higher and/or changing and less frequently when levels are lower and I have a gut feeling that this may affect how often (or likely) we hit the exception, even if it’s not the root cause.

You’re welcome. I may or may not have gone through all the effort to fix it for myself, but since a bunch of you were also seeing the same thing, it made it more than worth my time if many, many people can benefit from my efforts. It gave me motivation!

I know you’re on the v3.3 PCB. If you’re noticing any funny behavior on the I2C bus (SHT, SGP, OLED), then you need to check your pull-ups. The best you can do without re-working the PCB is to ensure you only have one set of pull-ups to 3.3V. Unfortunately, it will still slightly-violate the SHT specs if it is powered by 5V. I discussed this extensively in another thread: https://forum.airgradient.com/t/automated-reboot/395/13

1 Like

The ESP8266 Arduino core has reverted back to v6 of SoftwareSerial because the v7 has “breaking changes”, but it’s unclear to me if that is an intentional change that is no longer compatible or if there is something unintentionally broken. I think it’s the later.

Besides that, there is some discussion between the contributors in the SoftwareSerial issue page and it seems like they are still trying to figure out why the operator bool() of the ISR gets placed into flash even after verifying all of them have the IRAM_ATTR IRAM_ATTR attribute. I guess they are hitting a long-standing, obscure bug in gcc!

https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=70435#c8
https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=88061

SoftwareSerial is pushing some new commits to address some of the code-breaking changes of their latest v7.0.0 and it looks like they will push a new release soon. This may or may not fix our issue though it probably fixed some bugs and there’s a deprecated onReceive() function that we may or may not have to address in the Arigradient library?? Seems to me that onReceive() is replaced by onReceiveISR()… I need to look at the code when things settle.

EDIT (2023-03-05): Even with my elevated user account, I still can’t reply more than 3 posts in a row, so I will just add my reply here as an edit.

Quick update: there’s a lot of active discussion with the SoftwareSerial, ESP8266, and ESP32 repositories for how to merge the upcoming SoftwareSerial 8.0.0 with the bug fixes because there are some breaking changes and they have trouble with maintaining backward compatibility or namespaces or something beyond my understanding.

https://github.com/plerup/espsoftwareserial/issues/270

https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/pull/8869

Seems like our investigation here has started a chain of events that cascaded into a huge change for multiple repositories. But I suppose because it’s a bug fix, it was going to be necessary eventually.

1 Like

Thank you for investigating this. I’ve got my sensors last weekend and was playing around to send metrics to Prometheus. Noticed that pushing firmware through browser from guides works fine and does not reboot. But whatever sketches pushed from Arduino was rebooting. Luckily found this thread. Confirming that after downgrading esp8266 driver version to 3.0.2 it stabilized and haven’t rebooted last hour. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

Glad to hear! Just know that with 3.0.2, you will get -3 (timeout) readings from your serial port sensors if the last byte in the response is 0xFF. This is seen occasionally with the CO2 sensor (don’t know about PM) at certain specific CO2 readings. This is caused by a long standing bug in the older version of SoftwareSerial which is included as part of ESP8266. You can fix this by manually replacing with SoftwareSerial v6.17.1. I think for now, best would be to go back with the newest version of ESP8266 and revert just SoftwareSerial with v6.17.1.

interestingly I don’t have that problem :smiley: I was hoping to see something weird but it works just normal. I’ve had issues with low power tho. When I was using my Anker USB hub for powering it temporarily, I noticed that if I plug some other devices to that hub, every 10-12 minutes Temperature and Humidity sensor will output 0. Luckily I have a ton of 5v power adapters and it worked fine. I wonder maybe I have some different components based on my shipment batch

Running the older Software Serial means you will have the timeout issue. It’s 100% guaranteed. But only on very specific CO2 values that caused the last byte of the response to have a value of 0xFF. Your environmental conditions may not be right for you to see this often or at all. And it doesn’t cause any other issues, so no big deal.

I2C, by default is running at 400kHz, which the default pull ups (rise times) do not support. That would explain why you have intermittent I2C sensors issues. I suggest slowing it down to 100kHz. Zero downsides.

1 Like

I’ll try that. Thanks!

softserial 8.0.1 is something interesting for this topic or still need to wait?
I’m replying to you message seems it seems you are very familiar with this topic :slight_smile:

thanks
bye
Marco

Yes! SoftwareSerial 8.0.1 was released a couple of weeks ago and esp8266 3.1.2 was released yesterday that includes the new version, so I guess it’s time for me (or someone else) to test. I can start that tonight when I get home.

looking forward to read your comments about that.
In case I would also have a try, the correct yaml config part would be the following?

esphome:
  name: "${devicename}"
    libraries:
    - uart=https://github.com/plerup/espsoftwareserial.git#8.0.1

esp8266:
  board: d1_mini
  framework:
    version: latest
    platform_version: 3.1.2

can you confirm or eventually correct me, pleasae?
thanks
bye
Marco

I don’t think that platform_version will be correct. According to the documentation:
ESP8266 Platform — ESPHome

So that is not the same release numbers, as it is the platform-espressif8266 project, which the most recent is 4.1.0 which references arduino core 3.1.1 only

There is the version: under framework: that does map to the arduino release for esp8266 and you could try setting to 3.1.2, but since platform will still reference the old one, I’m not sure which one will take precedence.

I would try without the libraries section so you aren’t also trying to push a separate software serial and then set the esp8266 section to look like:

esp8266:
  board: d1_mini
  framework:
    version: 3.1.2

Although this will still use an older platformio

Go with @MallocArray 's advice because I have no experience with ESPhome. But if you are somehow already getting the recent 3.1.2 release of the Arduino Core library, then the new Software Serial should already be included.

i based my configuration attempt on a post on another thread of this forum always realted to softwareserial issue with esp8266.
I’m referring to https://forum.airgradient.com/t/airgradient-pro-with-esphome-display-keeps-turning-back-on/641/31?u=marco

I don’t have experience about such kind of configuration, so that’s why i was asking :slight_smile:

This is what I get with my suggestion:

INFO Reading configuration /config/ag-pro.yaml...
WARNING The selected Arduino framework version is not the recommended one. If there are connectivity or build issues please remove the manual version.
WARNING The selected Arduino framework version is not the recommended one. If there are connectivity or build issues please remove the manual version.
INFO Generating C++ source...
INFO Compiling app...
Processing ag-pro (board: d1_mini; framework: arduino; platform: platformio/espressif8266 @ 3.2.0)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tool Manager: Installing platformio/framework-arduinoespressif8266 @ ~3.30102.0
INFO Installing platformio/framework-arduinoespressif8266 @ ~3.30102.0
Downloading  [####################################]  100%   

So it is using the recently release arduino framework, but still an older version of platform-espressif8266 which has not been updated to match yet. So not sure what the outcome is.

Edit: it failed to compile for me

src/esphome/components/wifi/wifi_component_esp8266.cpp: In member function 'bool esphome::wifi::WiFiComponent::wifi_ap_ip_config_(esphome::optional<esphome::wifi::ManualIP>)':
src/esphome/components/wifi/wifi_component_esp8266.cpp:697:3: error: 'dhcpSoftAP' was not declared in this scope
  697 |   dhcpSoftAP.begin(&info);
      |   ^~~~~~~~~~
*** [.pioenvs/ag-pro/src/esphome/components/wifi/wifi_component_esp8266.cpp.o] Error 1
========================= [FAILED] Took 115.19 seconds =========================
1 Like